- This event has passed.
COAST Talks: UN Ocean Decade – Connecting Ocean Knowledge to Ocean Action
June 8, 2022 @ 11:00 am - 12:00 pm
Wednesday, June 8, 2022
11 a.m. – 12 p.m. Pacific Time
On World Ocean Day (June 8), COAST Talks takes a fascinating look at the UN Ocean Decade (2021-2030) and how it unlocks opportunities for innovators, scientists and entrepreneurs in the sustainable development of this massive marine ecosystem. Join the conversation with local Ocean Decade leaders and organizations working on everything from tsunami survival pods to ocean plastics solutions to satellite tracking for whale conservation.
Driven by the vision of ‘the science we need for the ocean we want,’ the UN Decade of Ocean Science for Sustainable Development aims to catalyze transformative ocean science solutions for sustainable development, connecting people and our ocean.
The UN Ocean Decade is for everyone — and the opportunities to join the momentum are wide-ranging. Here, in our region, the Ocean Decade Regional Collaborative Center for the Northeast Pacific is working to make the Ocean Decade a success.
At this COAST Talks, we’ll explore:
- critical challenges facing our oceans
- desired 2030 goals for the Ocean Decade
- opportunities for regional organizations and businesses to participate in achieving these outcomes
- inspiring stories of organizations striving to make a difference.
Rebecca Martone, Executive Director, Ocean Decade Regional Collaborative Center for the NE Pacific, hosted by the Tula Foundation
- Julian Sharpe, President, and Dr. Eddie Bernard, VP for Research, Survival Capsule
- Dr. Anna Posacka, Scientific Director, Ocean Diagnostics
- Anne Webster, Hatfield Group, on behalf of the smartWhales project
Following the presentations, the panelists will respond to questions from the moderator and audience.